More And More Of Less And Less

Off The Cuff Utterances



" Two things that separate you
from God are the Name and the Form"

nama - rupa
NAME AND FORM
Part - 1

Did you notice everything around you has a name ? Just about everything, computer, keyboard, printer, table, wall clock, hands, legs, sky, stars, sun and all the rest. Can you imagine anything in the world without a name? Even a child is named much before its birth. If its not named properly by a single name even as it is born then it may end up having different names called by different people.

Disciple : That's why I call myself Anamika (nameless),
when someone asks me. I even sign like that in public forums.
Master : That's a beautiful name indeed.
Anamika is a popular Indian name always !
Disciple : So what can I do now?
Everything needs a name it seems !
Master : Exactly, that's the point !
Disciple : What should I do to not having a name?
Master : Nothing. Just understand that the name is NOT you !

The problem is not with the name but your identification with it. When you see a thing you just don't see it as it is, but always associate it with its name. When the name enters your perception then it corrupts the way you look at it. You see more than what is actually there and this difference between whet IS actually there and what is seen by you causes trouble to your understanding of life.

Disciple : I always thought, whats in a name after all ?
Master : Its not just the name but its whole attribution
that goes with it. The name includes the description also !
Disciple : Oh its getting more difficult for me now !
Master : Suppose if I say the name 'car' what are the
things that come to your mind ?
Disciple : Come to think of it, I get so many thoughts on car !
Master : Fair enough, just tell me a few !
Disciple : 1. My car has become old
2. My dream is car is a BMW.
3. The guy who parks his car in my lot has to be warned.
4. This is not the ideal time to sell my car.


Its the same with every name that you know. The name does not limit just to the object but expands to its attributions too. House, traffic, Friend, office, money, news, movie and you can just pick any of them, they all will unwind volumes of information inside your head. In Vedanta literature, this Nama and Rupa are said to be the weapons wielded by Maya to cast a spell on humans and keep them under illusions.

Disciple : I never thought just a name
could spell so much distress !
Master : Its not over yet, because we
have not explored about its accomplice !
Disciple : Who is that if I may ask ?
Master : Rupa or simply known as form !
Disciple : You mean shapes and sizes ?
Master : Precisely, its yet another
exciting but silent demon that
keeps you away from truth !